Bikram Yoga Pregnancy Series
Continuing to do Bikram Yoga during pregnancy is both a safe and healthy experience for you and your baby. If you choose to practice while you are pregnant, please first consult your doctor. Here are some tips and photos to show you how the postures can be modified during your pregnancy.
For more information, contact us at the studio.
1) STANDING DEEP BREATHING – with feet 15cm apart in 3rd trimester.
2a) HALF MOON – with feet 15cm apart.
2b) HANDS TO FEET – with feet 30cm apart.
3) AWKWARD – parts 1 and 2 the same.
3rd part with knees apart in 3rd trimester.
4) EAGLE – same.
5) STANDING HEAD TO KNEE – kneel and rest.
alternative 1: balance on one leg with thigh parallel to floor.
alternative 2: EXTENDED HAND TO BIG TOE – grab big toe with middle and index finger with knee bent and spine straight, then kick out to the side and pull up.
6) STANDING BOW PULLING – same.
7) BALANCING STICK – same.
8) STANDING SEPARATE LEG STRETCHING – same, or touch floor instead if needed.
9) TRIANGLE POSE – same.
10) STANDING SEPARATE LEG HEAD TO KNEE – kneel and rest.
alternative: INTENSE SIDE STRETCH –grab elbows behind your back or in reverse prayer, look forward and lengthen spine. Note that two heels do not have to be in one line.
11) TREE – same.
12) TOE STAND – repeat tree in 3rd trimester.
13) SAVASANA – lie on your side with one knee bent and one arm under head.
14) WIND REMOVING – one leg: pull completely out to the side to avoid abdomen.
both legs: 1st set, grab knees and pull down widely.
2nd set, place soles of feet together and pull feet towards groin.
15) SIT-UP – No Sit-Up – roll to the side.
16) COBRA – do HALF FISH – lay on your back, palms facing down. Lift chest and arch back with the help of the elbows, place top of head on the floor with chest lifted and legs out straight.
17) LOCUST – one leg: do KNEELING LOCUST – on all fours, stretch right leg back, then left leg back, then rest for 20 seconds.
18) FULL LOCUST – do BRIDGE – lay on your back, bend knees up, feet flat on the floor close to the hips, palms facing down. Contract buttocks and lift hips up off the floor.
19) BOW – rest.
advanced alternative: WHEEL – lay on your back, bend knees up, feet flat on the floor close to the hips, palms on floor beside your head with fingertips toward shoulders. Contract buttocks and lift hips up off the floor, and simultaneously push against the floor to lift the shoulders off the floor.
20) FIXED FIRM – same.
21) HALF TORTOISE – with knees slightly apart and feet together.
22) CAMEL – same.
23) RABBIT – rest.
alternative: CAT and COW – on all fours, arch the spine and look up, then slowly round the spine and bring chin to chest.
24a) HEAD TO KNEE – same.
24b) STRETCHING –
1st set, legs are wide in a split. Hands in front of you on the floor, or grab big toes and pull body down.
2nd set, bring feet together, hands on the knees and push down. If arms are straight, shrug shoulders to ears.
25) SPINE TWISTING – stretch right leg straight out and turn to the right, away from bent knee. Repeat on other side.
26) BLOWING IN FIRM – with knees slightly apart in 3rd trimester.
For more information visit: Rajashree’s Pregnancy Page.